Try these 14 best ways to lose weight without dieting that will help you easily shave off extra calories and pounds with very little effort:
- Switch out drinks with liquids that have fewer calories. According to WebMD, people in general get about one fifth of their calories from drinks. By switching out drinks like sweetened sodas, coffees and teas with non-sweetened drinks like water, vegetable juice, green tea and non-fat milk, you could easily eliminate hundreds of calories each month.
- Don’t skip breakfast. Research studies show that people who eat breakfast lose more pounds than those who miss the first and probably most important meal of the day. Enough research has been done for almost everyone to be aware of this tip; however, it’s worth repeating because it’s one of the best ways to lose pounds without dieting.
- Trim your portions a little. Sizing down food portions will help you diet without really dieting. If you’re eating 3,000 calories a day, just cut back your calories 10 percent. You’ll hardly notice the difference, and you’ll save 300 calories a day. Since there are 3,500 calories in a pound, every 12 days, you should lose at least one pound. Also aim to eat slower, so your body has more time to tell your brain you’re full.
- Add a little protein to each of your meals. Eating protein helps people stay fuller longer. Good sources of protein include a small amount of nuts, eggs, low-fat or non-fat cheese and yogurt.
- Sleep more and you’ll weigh less. Studies show that people who don’t get enough sleep tend to snack more during the day. Not getting enough sleep can also slow down your metabolism.
- When eating out, order from the child’s menu or opt for an appetizer instead of a full meal, which usually consist of bigger portions. If you do decide to order a full meal, make it a point to eat half. Have the server bring you a doggie bag when he or she serves your meal, so the extra food will be out of sight.
- Switch out several of your meat meals for vegetarian food. Studies reveal that vegetarians weigh about 20 percent less than their meat-eating peers. You can choose from foods like veggie burgers and legumes to full you up.
- Try natural supplements like 5 HTTP to help curve your appetite. Studies show that dieters who take 5HTTP also known as 5-Hydroxytryptophan or 5-HTP every day lose their cravings for high-carbohydrate and sugary foods. Conjugated Linoleic Acid or CLA has also been shown to help people burn fat, especially belly fat. Make sure to check with your doctor before taking natural supplements for shedding additional pounds.
- Get a physical from your doctor. There may be medical reasons or medications you’re taking that are preventing you from dropping extra pounds. Thyroid weight gain is more problematic than most people realize. The worst thing about an underactive thyroid is most people don’t notice the symptoms because the signs start out slowly and gradually increase over time. Symptoms of thyroid problems or hypothyroidism include some or all of the following: unexplained weight gain, fatigue, depression, sensitivity to cold, brittle nails, thinning hair, constipation and in some cases problems getting or staying pregnant.
- Try acupuncture. Acupuncture for weight loss has long been regarded as a safe and effective way to lose weight without dieting. Results of a study on obese and overweight adults over 24 years old showed that 95 percent of the study participants lost weight over six weeks after having regular acupuncture treatments. Fifty percent of the participants continued to lose extra pounds even after the treatments stopped (PR Newswire).
- Check the scale at least once a week. Studies show that people who weigh themselves often and regularly lose more pounds and keep those pounds off longer than those who don’t visit their scales as often. Some studies say weighing yourself every day is even more effective (The Weighing Game). It’s the psychological advantage of having to answer to the scale that helps people remind themselves to eat fewer calories throughout the day.
- Up your dairy intake. Dairy products have been recognized as being fat burning foods. Experts believe it’s the high calcium content in dairy that helps people fight fat and shed pounds. Aim to eat three servings of non-fat and low-fat dairy every day.
- Eat light at night. Opt for eating a light dinner in the evening and avoid eating at least three to four hours before going to bed. You should also be able sleep better if your stomach is not full.
- Keep a food and exercise journal. Studies show that people who write down what they’re eating and how often they’re exercising lose twice as many pounds than those who do not write down what they’re eating and how often they’re exercising (The Australian).
Are there other ways to lose extra pounds without following a diet? Please share your tips in the comment section below.
The Australian. “Writing Down Every Morsel Doubles Weight Loss When Dieting.” July 12, 2008.
“Best Way to Lose Weight Without Dieting.” WebMD.
“Dr Edward Lamadrid’s New Study Advances Link Between Weight Loss and Acupuncture.” PR Newswire. November 1, 2010.
Dunn, Josette. Weight Loss Expert Supports Diary in Diets. Nutridate. March 2010, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p8.
“The Weighing Game.” Nutrition Action Health Letter. December 2006, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p10-10.