The Cabbage Soup Diet plan is most likely one of the most famous diets ever. It’s one of the oldest crash or fad diets that keeps resurfacing into mainstream culture. Some believe the diet might even be an urban legend.
No evidence exists to give credit to the original producer of the diet, but the American Dietetic Association dates the Cabbage Soup Diet to 1950 or earlier.
Dieters who follow the Cabbage Soup Diet lose weight fast–at least 10 pounds in a week. While there’s no one specific recipe, here’s one of the most popular versions.
Ingredients for Soup:
- 6 large green onions
- 2 green peppers
- 1 or 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 envelope of dry onion soup mix, like Lipton’s Onion Soup mix
- 1 or 2 bouillon cubes (if desired, use low-sodium bouillon cubes)
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 8-oz can of V-8 juice (optional)
Wash vegetables and cut into small bite-size pieces. Place vegetables in a large pot. Pour water over vegetables until they’re completely covered. If you’re adding V-8 juice, add it after covering the vegetables with water. Bring ingredients to a boil. As soon as the mixture starts to boil, turn the stove down to simmer.
After about 15 minutes the vegetables should be tender. If not, keep simmering until they’re tender. Be careful not to cook too long because the vegetables will lose too many nutrients. If desired, add Worcestershire sauce, parsley and black pepper to the soup.
Cabbage Soup Diet Plan
One caveat: Be aware that you will probably suffer from flatulence. Cabbage is highly sulfurous, and the vegetables may also cause gas too. Other side effects from the diet include nausea and extreme tiredness.
The Cabbage Soup Diet lasts a week. Some dieters go on the diet for a seven days. Then they take a few days off and go back on the diet again for another week. You may eat as much cabbage soup as you like in unlimited quantities.
- First Day: Eat only cabbage soup and fruit. You may eat all fruit in unlimited quantities except for bananas. The diet suggests eating plenty of cantaloupe and watermelon. Drink a lot of water. You may also drink unsweetened tea, black coffee and cranberry juice.
- Second Day: Do not eat any fruit. Instead you may consume raw or cooked vegetables in unlimited quantities, except for corn, peas, and beans. Eat as much soup as you like. In addition,you may eat a baked potato with butter if desired.
- Third Day : Eat unlimited fruit, vegetables and soup but do not eat a baked potato or butter.
- Fourth Day: Eat a minimum of three bananas and as many as eight. Drink two glasses of skim or non-fat milk.
- Fifth Day: Eat up to 20 oz of beef and up to six fresh tomatoes (or one can of stewed tomatoes). Be sure to eat cabbage soup at least for one meal. Drink six to eight glasses of water. Baked, grilled or broiled chicken (no skin) or fish may be substituted for beef at one meal.
- Sixth Day: Eat cabbage soup at least once during the day. Eat up to three beef stakes and an unlimited amount vegetables but no baked potato.
- Seventh Day: Eat up to two cups of brown rice and unlimited vegetables. Drink an unlimited amount of unsweetened fruit juice. Cabbage soup must be eaten at least once during the day.
- Be sure to avoid bread, alcohol or carbonated beverages, including diet soda. Do not eat or drink anything that is not on the diet.
The Cabbage Soup Diet Experiment